Common Core Standards - Algebra - 8th grade
- Seeing Structure in Expressions
- Interpret the structure of expressions
- Write expressions in equivalent forms to solve problems
- Arithmetic with Polynomials and Rational Functions
- Perform arithmetic operations on polynomials
- Understand the relationship between zeros and factors of polynomials
- Use polynomial identities to solve problems
- Rewrite rational functions
- Creating Equations
- Create equations that describe numbers or relationships
- Reasoning with Equations and Inequalities
- Understand solving equations as a process of reasoning and explain the reasoning
- Solve equations and inequalities in one variable
- Solve systems of equations
- Represent and solve equations and inequalities graphically
- Mathematical Practices
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Math in Focus Course 3.
The first part of the year will focus on the following common core standards.
Number System - exponents, exponential notation, exponential properties, negative exponents, squares and cubes, scientific notation
Expressions and equations - linear equations with one variable, linear equations with two variables, one solution, no solutions and infinite solutions, lines and linear equations, systems of equations using different methods
Functions - relations, linear and nonlinear functions,
The second part of the year will focus on the following common core standards.
Geometry - Pythagorean Theorem with distance and working with solids, geometric transformations: translations, reflections, rotations, dilations, congruence and similarity
Statistics - scatter plots, best line of fit, two way tables
Probability - compound events, independent and dependent events