Common Core Standards - Pre-Algebra
- The Number System
- Know that there are numbers that are not rational, and approximate them by rational numbers.
- Expressions and Equations
- Work with radicals and integer exponents.
- Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
- Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations.
- Define, evaluate, and compare functions.
- Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
- Understand congruence and similarity using physical models, transparencies, or geometry software.
- Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving volume of cylinders, cones and spheres.
- Statistics and Probability
- Investigate patterns of association in bivariate data.
- Mathematical Practices
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
• Reading and Writing Labs are activities that provide the students ways to learn
and use the language of Algebra and to use critical thinking skills to develop answers.
• Algebra Activity Labs are activities which present algebraic concepts by using
manipulative or hands-on materials.
The following is a list of core content based on the standards.